The Salmon Arm Golf Club – Since 1928
Through the years many dedicated and passionate people invested money, volunteered time and took the risks necessary to start a golf course. They then nurtured their creation through the lean times to become one of the most respected golf facilities in Western Canada. In 1925 it took $100 to purchase enough land to build a six-hole sand green golf course. Could these people have imagined what their investment would become 8-decades later?
The Salmon Arm Golf Club opened in April 1928 to the enjoyment of eighty-three shareholders, fifty of which were playing members. Memberships were $10 and playing dues were $6 for the season. In 1929 the Club purchased 160 acres from the municipality for $875 and added three more holes. There were 94 shareholders and playing dues were a dollar a day or three dollars a month.
Golfers playing from the late 1920’s to the mid 1950’s were privy to herds of sheep grazing on the fairways, providing close cropped grass and fertilization. A unique bit of heritage at the SAGC that reminds us of the down to earth character of the Club’s beginning.
The Club was founded first and foremost to provide an enjoyable pastime and a gathering place for socializing with neighbors. Golf was affordable and available for all living in the community.
Proudly the SAGC has stayed true to its roots by continuing to offer opportunities for socializing and golfing at affordable prices.
Milestone dates of the SAGC:
1925 Farmland purchased for the future golf course
1928 SAGC opens with 6-holes sand greens and rubber tee mats
1929 SAGC becomes 9-holes with the addition on 3 holes:
- 435 yards flat
- 124 yards plateau green
- 375 yards sunken green
- 125 yards par 3
1955 “New Clubhouse” replaces farm buildings
1961 Underground irrigation
1965 Grass Greens
1978 Grass tees to replace rubber mats
1984 Second nine-hole open, designed by Les Furber
1995 All eighteen – holes and new clubhouse consolidated on the west side of HWY 97B
2000 Original golf holes integrated into Executive Course design
The SAGC is blessed with free-flowing mature terrain incorporated into an 18-hole design that winds amongst the native forest along the natural flow of the slopes of Mount Ida. Unencumbered by residential development, a tour of the Championship Course offers unparalleled views of the surrounding forest and Shuswap Mountains from every hole.